Monday, May 16, 2011

Peer blog reflection 03

-One thing that really struck me in Ricardo's blog was when he said, "I personally believe that people want to be as cheap as possible, but they are exchanging quality for quantity.  Products made locally and foods grown locally do not suffer from industrial machines and chemicals and are flat out better even if they cost a bit more."  This is something that I wholly agree with, especially with food.  I will admit that I am a product of great branding and advertising on the part of WholeFoods market, but their core ideas are something that we should learn to live off of, namely living local.  I've run into this in my own family where buy local or healthy is too "expensive," but as Ricardo points out when we pay less we are many times sacrificing quality...and in the end if we buy a more expensive, more durable product initially then it will most likely last longer and we will end up paying less because we are not buying replacements for broken-down products.  I like to think of things as investment that we work towards instead of the cheapest thing that we can afford right now.
-If Mike B's blog I really liked his Letter E that he found for the letterforms assignment, but I also really loved how he introduced his reflection to Cradle to Cradle, "Using nature as the blueprint, McDonough and Braungart observe how insects, animals and plants have been living together in harmony since the beginning of time. Humans on the other hand have been rapidly depleting our resources, poisoning our land and water and destroying our environment all in the name of advancement and consumerism."  I completely agree with what Mike is saying here and think that it sums up well what Cradle was trying to portray, especially when he uses the word advancement because I came to almost the same conclusion about scientific advancement or progress when I was reading the books.  It important that we also make the difference between constructive versus destructive advancement.
-Sarah H, first of all I loved the "S" you found in an incandescent light bulb, and I'm glad that someone else decided to use an open pair of scissors for "X" as well.  What I really liked about your peer reflection is reaction that you had to my comment about plagiarism, "Sometimes I think plagarism can build up a fear that keeps us from using the full potential of another persons work and building on it because we have been brought up with this fear that we are going to get in trouble."  This is an incredibly important point that I don't think that I discussed enough in my course reflection, and I completely agree that using scare tactics when it comes to plagiarism dissuades progress from building upon past ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment